Thursday, July 6, 2017

Brock - June 28

Well, I kinda forgot to tell you guys this week that I wouldn´t be able to email on Monday, so....

Anyway. So this week we didn´t email on Monday because we went to the temple today (which was made our P-day). It was the last time that I´ll see President Farnes as my mission president. Once we got to the celestial room, I had a good talk with him. I asked him if they were nervous, and he said that it still didn´t feel like it was really happening. (This statement is 100% accurate). He asked me how I was feeling and what I was learning at the end. What I´m seeing here is that yeah, I´ve changed and grown and stuff and that´s great, but if I don´t hold fast to the changes and the growth then none of it will have mattered. It´s like, now (and when I get home/start school) I have to put the stuff I learned to the test. Almost like the mission was just a big study session. That counts toward your final grade. ;)

So the temple was awesome. We had to take a taxi to the rendevous point because some Brazillians decided that the public transport system doesn´t work so clearly the obvious answer isn´t reform but yes, boycotting. Meaning like 30% of the bus routes are in operation. We did managed to get a discount with the taxi guy, though, because my companion "badmouthed" the Uber people. hah! We had a great session but didn´t get to stick around long due to time restraints. 

This week I decided I´d try to study something a little bit difficult in the way of Paul´s epistles. (They´re good,  but they are so easy to misinterpret many things, and some of the major reasons for weird other churches´ rules, like women not being allowed to cut or dye their hair). I found some excellent scriptures in 1 Thessalonians chapter 2:

3 For our exhortation was not of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile:

4 But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.

5 For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloak of covetousness; God is witness:

6 Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others, when we might have been burdensome, as the apostles of Christ.

7 But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:

8 So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.

9 For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail: for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable unto any of you, we preached unto you the gospel of God.

10 Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe:

11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,

12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.

13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

20 For ye are our glory and joy.

I liked this passage a lot. This is the manner of a true minister, as stated in the chapter heading, or more appropriately, a true missionary. And as verse twenty says, "ye" (those who come unto Christ and are reconciled unto God through the first priniciples and ordinances of the gospel) are our glory and joy. For as God said unto Moses: "This is my work and my glory; to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." I love you all. I´m praying for Brother L and his family.

Elder Blaylock



No comments:

Post a Comment